Jelly Digital Marketing blog

Here you will find our latest blog entries and updates. You can always stay up to date with our Jelly Digital Marketing blog rss feed.

Key Takeaway From Brighton SEO - Remarketing

Key Takeaway From Brighton SEO - Remarketing Generally, only 2% of shoppers convert on the first visit to an online store and in B2B it takes around 11 interactions, also known as customer touchpoints, with a company until a customer makes a purchase. Retargeting, also called remarketing is a way to bring back the other 98% and create multiple touchpoints.

18 Sep 2017

How a local business can kick butt with Facebook advertising

How a local business can kick butt with Facebook advertising Still think Facebook is for posting trivial pictures of what you had for tea last night? Time to re-think your marketing and introduce Facebook advertising to your strategy.

13 Oct 2016

Brighton SEO 2016 - Key Takeaways

Brighton SEO 2016 - Key Takeaways Once again, Brighton SEO delivered an excellent day of knowledgeable speakers and advice on how to be a better marketer in 2016. Here are my key take-aways.

25 Apr 2016

Jelly Digital Marketing 'Highly Commended' at the Adur & Worthing Business Awards

Jelly Digital Marketing 'Highly Commended' at the Adur & Worthing Business Awards Five years on, Jelly Digital Marketing is again recognised for it's achievements at the Adur & Worthing Business Awards 2016.

20 Nov 2015

Lancing based, Claren Print, appoint Jelly Digital Marketing

Lancing based, Claren Print, appoint Jelly Digital Marketing Lancing based, Claren Print has appointed Suzanne Sullivan of Jelly Digital Marketing, to help with them raise awareness of their printing services within the local business community around Brighton, Lancing and Worthing.

9 Oct 2015

Latest project

700% Uplift in web visitors

Digital Marketing support to continually drive new prospects to the Trevor Blake website and keep them at the top of Google on relevant searches.